Monday, April 19, 2010
What 9-Year-Old Birthday Partiers are Talking About
Hosting a t-shirt painting party for nine year olds is a definite domestic hazard, but at least I learned what the girls are talking, yelling and singing about. In summary:
1) Justin Bieber (A Canadian pop star, for those of you over fourteen.)
2) Anti-pink protests Pink is dead. Offensive. Insulting, even. My apologies to the poor kid who got stuck with the pink t-shirt.
3) Did I mention Justin Bieber? One girl insisted he was ugly. I suggested the judgement was in fact a veiled admission of her interest in his cuteness. She wasn't listening.
4)Advanced skipping techniques
5) We Are The World Because schoolkids in our area will soon be singing the Haiti tribute in unison, the girls suddenly broke out in swaying song. Michael Jackson would be proud. Maybe.
At least no t-shirts were damaged during the impromptu chorus.
6) Earth Rangers, the website.
7) Selena Gomez My pre-pubescent gang revered boy pop stars. A shift to equality is better, right?
and of course
8)a screaming rendition of Happy Birthday.
Will the girls be yelling and singing at next year's party, or will their tones hush? Will pink return, or are little-girly, childish hues gone forever? Don't even answer that one.